Have you ever had a job go sideways because a client wanted to get involved with the purchasing process?
There are ways to allow clients to make their own purchases if that’s what they really want to do, but it’s really important to know how to protect yourself in those situations because they can get messy if you’re not careful.
In this episode, I’m sharing my purchasing secrets with you.
I’m teaching you how to handle clients who insist on purchasing from retail stores, why you need to avoid hybrid purchasing, and what rules to follow and boundaries to set when it comes to purchasing.
Topics We Cover in This Episode:
- When to let your client buy something from a retail store
- Why I no longer use a “cost plus” model
- How to avoid hybrid purchasing
- The problems that hybrid purchasing causes
- Including purchasing in your letter of agreement
- Why you should never let a client do their own purchasing for a custom design
- Explaining your purchasing process at the beginning of every job
- Getting clear on your deliverables
- Why you need to add a purchasing fee to retail purchases
I want purchasing to be fun for you, not something that drags your job out for weeks and leaves you with a compromised end result, so let’s put the fun back in purchasing! This episode will help you make sure you always end up with an end product that you can be proud of as well as a very happy client.
Do you want to find out what the Interior Design Business Academy is all about? Click HERE to book a clarity call! We’ll talk about where you are in your business and what your next step needs to be to make your design business more profitable and enjoyable. Book a call and take one step closer to your dream design business.
Where We Can Connect:
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
Episode 31: Boundaries and You
Episode 32: Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make Working With Contractors
Episode 33: How to Handle Challenging Clients
Follow & Review
Are you following my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today, so you don’t miss any future episodes!
I would also appreciate it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! They help me make sure I am providing the content that you love to hear!